Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter, And The Story Of The Picture


With Easter approaching, I wanted to share a story and picture that means so much to me. 

It was 1958, my mother was going home to Belgium, for the first time since coming to the US in 1946.  She was so excited to finally see her family, after being apart for 12 years.  She had worked and saved as much money as possible, to make this trip.  She got her wardrobe lined up, nice clothing to look good, and then, she borrowed some clothing from her friend, "Corky".  She wanted to look good so that her family would see that she had prospered in her new land.

After visiting her parents, she went to Paris, France, to visit her brother, who owned a fruit and vegetable market, that was in direct view of the Eiffel Tower.  There were shops and restaurants with tables outside, on the sidewalks, to take in the view of the Eiffel Tower.  Artist were set up at numerous locations and would draw your pictue.  She did that and I still have that drawing of her.   She also bought a very unusual picture of Jesus, "St. Veronica's Handkerchief"/"Jesus Christus", by Gabriel von Max (born in 1840, died 1915).

She returned home and we stayed up all night talking and looking at pictures, especially the "St. Veronica's Handkerchief".  She hung it in the hallway and everyday, after school, I would come home and look at that picture.  If you look at it for a few seconds, Jesus' eyes will be closed, then open, then closed again.  One day, I came home and the picture was GONE!!  I asked her where she put the picture and she told me her friend, "Corky", had liked it so much and my mother gave it to her.  At that moment, I thought I would NEVER see it again.

A few years ago I found a copy of the "St. Veronica's Handerchief".  It is not the one my mother had, but it looks the same.  Look at his eyes and see if you can see his eyes open and close.






Toujours Moi,
Claudette

No comments:

Post a Comment